Before You Move
1. Send your forwarding address to the local post office and send change of address card to:
- Insurance companies - Magazines - Merchants - Clubs to which you belong - Draft board - Friends - Charge accounts, credit cards - Book/CD clubs - Catalogs - Veterans Administration
2. Keep file of vital papers and reminders
3. Get estimates from moving companies, select a moving company, confirm date and decide who will pack. Paid packers typically come the day before moving day.
4. Start sorting. Decide what to move, what to sell, give away, discard. Take cuttings or give away extra house plants.
5. Inventory possessions. List dents and scratches and, if possible, list value and year of purchase. Photo or video records are ideal.
- Life - Automobile - Hospitalization - Household goods, personal possessions
7. Arrange sufficient cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving expenses and services.
Cash or certified check is usually required by the transfer company.
8. Have your bank recommend an affiliate in your
9. Disconnect and obtain any deposits or letters of credit:
- Electric - Water - Gas - Phone - Cable
10. Stop service on the following:
- Newspaper - Garbage collection - Bakery, milk - Lawn - Laundry, diapers - Other
11. Notify principal of your children?s school about your intended move. Request a letter from him/her covering the status of your children in school.
12. Notify your church pastor that you are leaving.
13. Obtain birth and baptism records of your children.
14. Obtain all medical records of shots, dental records and eyeglass prescriptions. Have your drug prescriptions filled.
15. Check with your attorney about will revisions, if moving out of state.
16. Have appliances serviced for the trip:
- Service power mowers, boats, etc., drain all gas and oil
- Automobiles - Refrigerator
17. Pick up personal items:
- Shoes being repaired - Off-season stored clothing - Dry cleaning and laundry - Film
18. Return all borrowed items, library books. Collect anything borrowed from you.
19. Pack cleaning supplies, hammer, nails, screwdriver, pliers, masking tape, tape measure, flashlight and batteries, cloths, scissors, light bulbs, aspirin, soap, toilet paper and first aid supplies, in a separate carton, to take with you.
20. Keep basics handy and in well-marked boxes:
- Comfortable clothes - Phones - Cosmetics/toiletries - Alarm clocks - Iron - Cleaning supplies - Extension cords - Toolbox and flashlight - Linens and towels
21. Save the phone book from your former city residence.
22. Carry jewelry and documents yourself.
23. Verify insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
24. Let a close friend or relative know the route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops. Use him/her as message headquarters.
25. Leave the keys for your old property with your RE/MAX Sales Associate or neighbors.
26. Collect children?s games and activities for the trip.
27. Plan meals and snacks, to minimize shopping. Have ?quick-fix? foods ready or plan to eat out/carry in.